Trouble Connecting ax2550 to Computer

14 years 7 months ago #10183148 by lettuce345
Trouble Connecting ax2550 to Computer was created by lettuce345

I purchased the ax2550 recently and I have tried connecting the motor controller to my pc using a serial to usb connector (the laptop doesn't have a serial connection) and I haven't been able to get any info off the controller or send commands to it. The motor controller just keeps displaying no-ctrl, so obviously I'm not getting a connection. Anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #10203308 by lettuce345
Replied by lettuce345 on topic Re:Trouble Connecting ax2550 to Computer
nevermind, answered my own question. It was a problem with the drivers for the serial to usb connector :)

14 years 6 months ago #10255266 by RogueWarrior
Replied by RogueWarrior on topic Re:Trouble Connecting ax2550 to Computer
Could you enlighten us with what brand/model USB/serial adapter you're using and what you did to solve the problem?

14 years 6 months ago #10457851 by Jeanne
Replied by Jeanne on topic Re:Trouble Connecting ax2550 to Computer
<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><FONT size=3>Hi there</FONT></FONT></SPAN>
<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><FONT size=3> </FONT></FONT></SPAN>
<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><FONT size=3>As a soon to be proud owner of an AX2550 I have taken interest. I'm an electronic engineer and have some experience in using USB to serial connectors and designing USB peripherals. One of the main things is that you get what you pay for. While some of the connectors might have the exact same chipset inside it does not mean they work as advertised. In a lot of cases it can be blamed on the driver. The lower cost ones invariably have extensive delays which causes timeouts on the software. The problem has become so common that some companies has started to move towards accepting the delays and adding time delays in there software to accommodate for it. Does Roboteq have future plans to adapt their software for the extensive volume of bad USB to serial converters out there?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Or has this issue already been dealt with?</FONT></FONT></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" size=3> </FONT>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" size=3>Jéanne</FONT>

14 years 6 months ago #10463769 by cosma
Replied by cosma on topic Re:Trouble Connecting ax2550 to Computer
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">We know of some usb to serial adapters to be bad and have often asked users to try a different one whenever they report having difficulties communicating with the controller.
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Unfortunatelly, we've always had the good luck of buying adapters that work. So, while we are aware that problems can occur, we never had the chance to experience them and therefore try debugging.
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">If you are aware of specific brand/models, we can try buying some and try.

14 years 6 months ago #10464675 by Jeanne
Replied by Jeanne on topic Re:Trouble Connecting ax2550 to Computer
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">HI all,
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">It it good to hear you are on top of it. We have some cheap ones in the farthest back corner of the store room. I will give them a go at some time and let you know if the problem appears.
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Regards,
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Jéanne

Moderators: tonysantoni
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds