Radio problem HELP!!!

13 years 4 months ago #19065180 by MuddyWheels
Radio problem HELP!!! was created by MuddyWheels

Hi,<BR>Had everything working not bad with my 2550 but had a problem with interference--some is caused by a known anomoly in the area here and additional from the ignition system of a gasoline engine being operated as part of the project.<BR><BR>That was with a Futaba 75mhz FM radio. <BR>I decided to purchase another radio unit less prone to the interference and chose the new Futaba 6 channel 6EX spread spectrum radio.<BR><BR>Now the problem. I am getting the "no ctrl message" on the controller as though the radio wasn't there. It is present, connected and has been tested with servos prior to installation to ensure that it was working. Relays connected on channel 4 work properly as well. I am guessing that it has something to do with the built in fail safe of the 2550 but I am unsure how to overcome this and make it "see" the new 2.4ghz radio system.<BR>
I should also add that these radios have a failsafe but it only involves channel 3 and can and has been disabled
<BR>Any ideas appreciated.<BR>Thanks.<BR>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #19270729 by MuddyWheels
Replied by MuddyWheels on topic Re:Radio problem HELP!!!
Follow up for other users of the forum:

Just in case anyone else should run across this with the same problem...
After a great deal of assitance from Cosma, it appears that this new Futaba radio's signals just aren't compatible at this time. Solution? Went back to the other radio!

P.S. Thanks again Cosma! Great customer support.

13 years 4 months ago #19540774 by RogueWarrior
Replied by RogueWarrior on topic Re:Radio problem HELP!!!
What version of the PCB is your 2550? Look on the label on the bottom of the housing.

13 years 4 months ago #19541876 by MuddyWheels
Not sure. The label isn't visible any more because of the way I've got the unit mounted and it would be a royal pain to get it off again.
It isn't that old of a unit and shipped with the 1.9b firmware so I would expect it is the newer version.

I have been given a possible work around by Cosma to try but I'll need a bit of time to put it together and test it out.

13 years 3 months ago #19611208 by RogueWarrior
Replied by RogueWarrior on topic Re:Radio problem HELP!!!
If you're feeling adventurous, remove the end panel where the LED display is and slide off the bottom plate. You should be able to see the PCB version silk-screened on the board.

13 years 3 months ago #19611408 by MuddyWheels

PCB 5.5

13 years 3 months ago #19611490 by cosma
Replied by cosma on topic Re:Radio problem HELP!!!
You can also identify new versions controllers (PCB 6.1) with Roborun.

Roborun 19b will display "Rev B" next to the controller model in the upper right of the screen, if the controller has PCB 6.1.

V5.5 has been shipping for several years and never had any problems with any RC radio. There is something special going on about your particular radio model.

13 years 3 months ago #19611639 by MuddyWheels
I agree, something with the Futaba FAAST system.

I'm hoping to find my bag of resistors to give the suggestion you had a try. As I had said in the e-mail, I'm not overly worried about it but if the resistors work, this radio will give me a couple extra channels to put some additional safety relays on.

The system is now otherwise flawless and other than me being stubborn in wanting a brand new technology radio to work. Oh well, something else to keep me busy.

Moderators: tonysantoni
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds