upgraded firmware and now i have loads of problems

11 years 4 months ago #29525011 by magicdominik
I upgraded my ax2850 with encoder and 2 ax500\'s to the new firmware. nothing works well at all now.
1st the motors run at a weird low speed instead of what they should be running.
2nd none of the limit switches(ax2850) that all worked prior to the ugrade work. they are inline with the encoders as per the instruction manual.
3rd due to one of these limit switches my #1 motor on the ax2850 vibrates and acts erratic and has damaged the device.
4th i seem to get com errors when i connect via the computer. this never happened before. actually none of this happened before. can i reload the firmware, or can i downgrade to the previous firmware?
don\'t know what to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 4 months ago #29525012 by magicdominik
ok, so i reloaded the firmware on the ax2850 and what\'s happening is when the limit switch is hit the motor speeds up to full. this is a major problem.
any ideas.

11 years 4 months ago #29525013 by cosma
Which firmware versions did you have originally?

Which did you upgrade to and had the problems?

Which do you have now?

The fact that you did not get full power may be because v1.9e needs v1.9e of the PC utility. This problem will occur if using v1.9d of Roborun with v1.9e of the firmware.

There is a problem with the closed loop operation in v1.9e of 01/14/2009. This has been fixed in v1.9e of 03/28/09.

There is no problem reloading a previous version of the firmware.

11 years 4 months ago #29525014 by magicdominik
my original firmware was whatever shipped with the products a year ago. i upgraded to the previous firmware and yesterday i downloaded the recent firmware and upgraded to that one yesterday. it\'s running better but the motors aren\'t running at the speed that my controller is telling it to go. i have a custom controller unit that outputs rs232 as per the code instructions in the manual. the motors are supposed to run at 68% but are going slower than that. the controller is a pic chip based rs232 programmable device that sends the control signals to two ax500\'s and 1 ax2850. has the code changed with this new firmware? I can\'t run the device with the pc utility because it has 5 motors and they have to run in sequence.

11 years 4 months ago #29525015 by cosma
Try resetting the controller to its factory default configuration using the switches, if AX2550 or AX3500. Press and hold the Prog and Set buttons as you reset, until display starts flashing.

Try operating the controller with the PC utility. Verify that you get full power as you move the slider to the min or max. Check that you have 100% in the Power Adjust setting in the Power Settings tabs.

11 years 4 months ago #29525016 by magicdominik
I did that and the power issue is resolved.
I reset the ax2850 to the defaults.
i just have the major problem that when the limit switches are activated they trigger the motors to run full speed in the direction that the limit switch is supposed to stop it. also input f seems to be always low.?? i was using that input to shut off the fets but now it\'s not responsive and always turning the fets off so i had to disable it in the software. i checked the wiring and it made no difference that i unplugged the input f.
is it possible that the firmware upgrade messed up the encoder module in the controller? could it be a ground issue? Nothing has changed other than the firmware which is when all the problems started.
i just finished downgrading the firmware to the old one that the controllers came with. it hasn\'t fixed the switch problem or the input f problem.
i am thinking of rewiring the limit switches to be wired to the motors directly through a relay, bypassing the encoder.

11 years 4 months ago #29525017 by magicdominik
ok. so i tested the limit switches that are setup through the encoder and they sink to ground when triggered so i assume there is an issue with the encoder module which causes the motors to jump to full speed when the switches are triggered. i still don\'t know why input f is triggered because there isn\'t anything connected to it now.
i\'ll just switch it input e and use that to turn off the mosfets.
i am trying to work out how to connect the motor wires to a relay because they are really huge wires. I may need to buy larger relays to use as limit switches.

11 years 4 months ago #29525018 by cosma
Input F is pulled to ground if left open. You will need a pull up resistor to have it at On.

To use the limit switches on the encoder inputs, you will need to add resistors to implement the multi-level signaling described in the manual.

Then use the Encoder tab of roborun to verify that it works:

When the encoder runs, the count should change but the Switch input indicators should remain off.

When a switch is activated, the could will stop counting (oscillating with +/-1) and the switch indicator will turn on.

Finally, you need to enable the encoder limit switches. You will need to enable the limit switches function. The enable checkbox is missing from roborun. You should be able to enable it with the console by sending ^04 08. Then reset to activate.

11 years 4 months ago #29525020 by magicdominik
Thank you so much for the code. it worked and solved the whole problem. I was pulling my hair out because it all worked a few days ago. I sent the ^04 08 code and reset and now the limit switches function as they should turning off the motors.

I had the setting reversed for input f. so it was turning off the fets. i changed it to off on high and it\'s stable and working except when i run motor 1. but i\'m not sure if it\'s input f but the controller stops when motor 2 runs. it stops and starts erratically. the display flickers an 8 and it switches quickly between off and on causing the motor to shudder each time this happens for the duration that the motor is running. also in roborun i see the inputs in the lower left corner all go to black and then back to green. is this a motor problem? i think there\'s some issue with feedback of current or maybe the motor is bad.

11 years 4 months ago #29525021 by magicdominik
ok so now what i\'m observing through roborun is that motor 2 is really bad in reverse. there\'s lots electrical noise being generated and is coming through my sound system and is making the inputs go from green to black in the lower left corner and it\'s even making a plot appear on the plot graph for motor 1 which is not running while i\'m testing motor 2. when in reverse the motor will stop responding to the roborun controller and keep running and i have to shut off the power to the ax2850. it\'s still starting and stopping at an erratic pulse rate too. i\'m thinking this is a bad motor that suddenly reared it\'s ugly head after a year. i hope it\'s just bad brushes. it\'s a magmotor bp-400x.

Moderators: tonysantoni
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds