SDC2130 Encoder

9 years 5 months ago #29525597 by JesseR
SDC2130 Encoder was created by JesseR
Hello, I\'m trying to get use an encoder with the SDC2130 and I could use a hint!

I have a single encoder, wired to the \"Encoder 2\" inputs (DIn5=10, DIn6=15), as well as power (+5v) and ground. I believe its working, because I see the DIn5 and DIn6 indicators light on/off in the Roborun Plus (Rev 1.2 2/12/11) utility if I move the encoder. I\'m trying to make sure the encoder works and is going in the right direction before I connect the motor, so no motor is currently connected.

However, I don\'t see anything happen other than the DIn5 and DIn6 indicators. Should I see the \"Counter 2\" value change, if I display it in the chart? I also tried mapping the Encoder 2 as \"Feedback(2)\", then graphing Feedback 2 in the chart, but neither moves with the encoder. I tried setting Motor 2 to closed-loop-speed as well, and graphing the motor\'s speed, but that was also zero. (just as a test, I manually set Counter 2 to a value via the console, and that value did display in chart, but it never changed. As a second test, I wired a pot to Analog-2, set that as Feedback-2 instead of the encoder, and in that case the Feedback-2 line does move as I would expect in the chart.)

Am I missing a step? How do I get the encoder to increment the counter, or otherwise display?

Thanks for any leads!!
Jesse

My board reports firmware: Roboteq v1.2 RCB100 01/16/2011
(I don\'t see any SDC firmware downloads on the software page.)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 5 months ago #29525599 by roboteq
Replied by roboteq on topic Re:SDC2130 Encoder
Pls try the firmware attached to this post dev.roboteq.com/dev1/online-forum/troubl...not-working#29525589

9 years 5 months ago #29525603 by JesseR
Replied by JesseR on topic Re:SDC2130 Encoder
Thanks for your quick response! Upgrading to that firmware changed the behavior, I now see Counter 2 move, as well as Feedback 2!

Looking to the future, should I keep on the lookout for an officially distributed version of the firmware on the download page, and upgrade to that when it comes out? (i.e., is this a beta release, or is ok to stick with this version?)

Thanks!
Jesse

9 years 5 months ago #29525613 by JesseR
I have noticed one more issue, though it is easy to workaround - the pop-up menu for \"Loop Error Detection:\" for Motor 2 seems to be changing the value for Motor 1. Neither pop-up affects the value for Motor 2.

9 years 5 months ago #29525627 by JesseR
OK Another bit of data here - I was noticing that even with the new firmware, the Counter (?C) is always 0 (even if I move the encoder with my hand) until I run RoboRun+ and hit \"Load Configuration\" (or allow it to auto-load on connect) in the RoboRun+ program.

I narrowed it down to a single query - if you query the encoder mode (ie, send ~EMOD) then the encoders begin to count ticks! (you don\'t need to set anything, just the query does the trick!)

cheers,
jesse

Moderators: tonysantoni
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds