Power Output on Motor 1 (HBL 2350)

9 years 2 weeks ago #29526089 by andrewhannay
Hi,
We have assembled the HBL 2350 motor controller into our robot base and have had a good degree of success.
Both Motors are assembled into a 4:1 approx gear box and have been wired using connectors such that they are interchangable without having to re-wire the motor, hall effect switches and encoders to get the correct direction. All this means to the software is that we have to invert the direction and speed commands of motor 1 to allow both motors to move the robot in one direction and not cause it to spin around in circles. With me so far?

Initially we were running the motors at low speeds and acceleration and all seemed well. We are operating in Speed feedback mode. Now that we have increased speed and acceleration we have noticed that when travelling forwards, Motor 1 sometimes cannot cope with the load and stops or slows down.
We have disabled all stall protection for both motors and made sure that power output is 100% for both motors in both directions but this has still not fixed it. It only effects motor 1 in the reverse direction and we have swapped motors around and the problem stays with output 1. It\'s easy to test as we can place the Robot on it\'s back and stop motor 1 wheel with our hands but not motor 2.
Is this firmware related?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 week ago #29526103 by andrewhannay
So, can I assume Motor 1 in the reverse direction does not work at 100% no matter what I set the output power to?

9 years 1 week ago #29526109 by roboteq
Replied by roboteq on topic Re:Power Output on Motor 1 (HBL 2350)
The motor should be able to run in both direction the same way up to 100%.

If you have a big difference it is likely that your HAL/UVW combination is not the correct one.

Beware that typically, there are two wiring combinations that will make the motor turn. One is perfectly smooth with low current consumption at any speed. The other draws high current and is not the same in one direction or the other.

9 years 1 week ago #29526111 by andrewhannay
thanks for your reply.
Sorry, I\'m not talking about rpm, but torque.
This only happens to motor 1 when using a negative rpm.
I have treid all the possible combinations of HAL/UVW and have the best combination.
Both motors run at the same speed very smoothly, but I can stop Motor 1 with my hand, but not motor 2. If I reverse the direction of Motor 1 so that it is going in a positive rpm then it is fine - it\'s only negative rpm torque.
This is causing our robot to skew to the left slightly when we accelerate forwards (motor 1 -ve, motor 2 +ve) but the robot doesn\'t skew when we accelerate backwards (motor 1 +ve, motor 2 -ve)

I still have this weird issue where I have to read a location to get the motor to respond to any of my commands.
And I still can\'t read rpm from either hall effect sensors.

Help!

9 years 1 week ago #29526115 by roboteq
Max torque and speed should be the same in both direction.

From what you describe, one motor is working ok in both direction. Only one motor is misbehaving.

Try swapping the motors to determine wether the issue is with the controller or the motor.

The speed measuring issue was fixed with a new firmware release. Pls install the latest from our web site.

9 years 1 week ago #29526121 by andrewhannay
Hi,
My first post already states that I tried swapping the motors, and the problem stayed with the output.

I\'m running v1.2 (14 August 2011)

9 years 1 week ago #29526123 by roboteq
Try the latest firmware from 10/19

dev.roboteq.com/dev1/files_n_images/file...e-v12-101911-dfu.zip

It is the same as this of the hdc2450 so disregard the file name.

We\'ll conduct test in the lab to check the difference of power issue.

9 years 1 week ago #29526125 by roboteq
Try the latest firmware from 10/19

dev.roboteq.com/dev1/files_n_images/file...e-v12-101911-dfu.zip

It is the same as this of the hdc2450 so disregard the file name.

We\'ll conduct test in the lab to check the difference of power issue.

8 years 11 months ago #29526149 by andrewhannay
Great, the latest version of software seems to have fixed this problem and a few others I was having. Thankyou very much.

Moderators: tonysantoni
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds