HDC2450 Power output

10 years 5 months ago #29525469 by burgerman
Replied by burgerman on topic Re:HDC2450 Power output
If it helps to work out, with a 100 amp mobility controller when drtiven into a wall the 24v battery amps were 60 amps.

While the motor amps were BOTH 100 almost exactly - solidly. Dunno the volts at the motor though.

Battery amps increases, while motor amps stay at 100 as you accelerate to around 1/3rd speed.

The new roboteq system is at 45v though so this woll be a bigger differential?

Thanks. These are very powerful 4 pole wheelchair motors, on almost double the volts...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 5 months ago #29525519 by klick
Replied by klick on topic Re:HDC2450 Power output
Just for reference, the motor I was using was this:
www.motenergy.com/me0909.html

Which is a fairly large brushed dc motor. I believe you have NPC robotic gear motors, which I have some of those as well, they look similiar to yours but not quite the same. They are about half the size of the ME0909 however, so I would think it would go much easier on the controller.

I think the main issue it the impedance, that causes the battery amps to be so high, and therefore the controller cuts back. I could measure the resting resistance of both the ME0909\'s and the NPC motors I have, but i\'m not sure how much the value as rest would matter it determining if this would be an issue or not.

I\'ve never used the roboteq controller on the NPC motors though.

Ross

10 years 5 months ago #29525521 by klick
roboteq:
I sent a message to support, I want to convert my dual channel to single channel, how can I get the firmware required to do this?

Thanks,
Ross

10 years 5 months ago #29525523 by roboteq
Replied by roboteq on topic Re:HDC2450 Power output
This requires a change to the programmable logic. It can be done in the field but this is a confidential procedure. Please resend your request to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

10 years 4 months ago #29525605 by klick
Well I now have 2 single channel controllers, same issue. At least now the vehicle will move for about 15 seconds, then it starts to scale back the motor controllers.

The motors are the same, but i REDUCED the gear ratio by 50%, should of made it easier. I also reduced the weight of the vehicle by 20%. So you would think that would be enough, but i guess not.

What other things can control the scaling? I did watch the temperature, and this time, the temperature doesn\'t really change, it starts off cold at 22, then goes upto 24 tops. I don\'t even remember what it did before, i but i think they went up a decent amount.

So no temperature issue, 50% reduction in gear ratio, less weight, and double the controllers equals 15 seconds of runtime. If i sit there for 30-45 seconds, it then scales back up and I can move.

I\'m gonna check a bunch of variables, but obviously it works at first, it shows power applied as what I am commanding it, so i don\'t see how max power and all that could matter, i\'m sure it\'s 100%, but i\'ll check regardless.

I do set this on startup:
result |= roboteq.IssueCommand(\"^MXRPM 1 1000\");
result |= roboteq.IssueCommand(\"^MXRPM 2 1000\");
result |= roboteq.IssueCommand(\"^MAC 10000\");
result |= roboteq.IssueCommand(\"^MDEC 10000\");

I do that for both controllers, but this is just to get acceleration/deceleration set by the controller. This is just to get smoothness of drive, and it works fine, but i don\'t see how this could impact applied power.

Ross

10 years 4 months ago #29525607 by klick
Well, ALIM was set to 1000, meaning 100 amps. I set this to 2000/200amps, gonna redo some testing. I\'ll try to get a log of temperature, battery amps, mot amps, etc.

10 years 4 months ago #29525609 by klick
Well amp limit seemed to help considerable, these are still low load testing though (to an extent). I\'ll have to do more testing and see how well it works moving forward. I did log some amp pulls but forgot to copy them over, have to get them later.

What is the safe amp limit setting? I put it at 200 amps, the controller is a 240 or 300 right?

Ross

10 years 4 months ago #29525611 by roboteq
Replied by roboteq on topic Re:HDC2450 Power output
You can go to 300.

In the log it is easy to see if amps limiting is occuring. First you should see the Motor Amps topping at the preset limit.

Also, you will normally see Motor Command to be equal to Motor Power. The moment you see Motor Power be lower than Motor Command, it is because of the Amps limiting kicking in.

Moderators: tonysantoni
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds