Serial comm problem

13 years 5 months ago #17210384 by JeffLear
Serial comm problem was created by JeffLear
I am currently having problems communicating correctly with a Roboteq unit.

The unit in question has been used for a number of weeks with no problem then....

The roborun software can connect but not retrieve info. ie the unit is found but I cannot load or save info to it. I have tried updating the unit software with no success.

The unit does still work and will respond to rs232 data ie it runs and does control motors.

I have tried other leads and computers getting similar comm problems.

Reseting roboteq does not clear the problem.

Anyone have any thoughts?


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #17210693 by cosma
Replied by cosma on topic Re:Serial comm problem
To diagnose this kind of problems, the best thing is to use Hyperterm and looks at the raw RS232 data. There is a preconfigured session in Start>Programs>Roboteq>roboteq-com1

If you are using the latest revision of Roborun (1.9), go to the Console Tab to communicate with raw rs232.

After resetting, you should see the prompt:

Roboteq v1.xxx xx/xx/xx (version and date)

Followed by an OK if in rs232 mode

or followed by a continuous flow of hex data. Typing the Enter key 10 times, causes the unit to switch to rs232 and the OK appears.

Once in RS232, you can type commands as shown in the manual.

?a returns the amps reading, etc ....

Try and report what you are observing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #17259202 by JeffLear
Replied by JeffLear on topic Re:Serial comm problem
Thanks for your prompt suggestions.

We have tried talking to the roboteq unit using telnet with no response. A second laptop was tried, using an rs232 port rather than usb to rs232 adaptor. The results were the same, the controller was found but did not register a valid ID.

We also tested the cables for continuity and found everything was in order.

Does this sound like the unit is dead? Do you have a UK dealer who can carry out repairs?

A seperate issue has arrisen whilst trying to install roborun 1.9, when run I get an error tlling me that strip.ocx is out of date.

Cheers

Jeff Lear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #17259259 by cosma
Replied by cosma on topic Re:Serial comm problem
It is odd that the controller would be "found" and that you would see no data on hyperterm. Some communication must occur for this to happen.

Try installing roborun 1.9.

Remove the old version with the Uninstall. Then delete the Roboteq directory in C:Program Files. Try installing after that.

Confirm that you see no data in the Console tab.

If you need to arrange for a repair, pls contact us with the support form <A href=" dev.roboteq.com/dev1/form-support.html " target=_blank> dev.roboteq.com/dev1/form-support.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: tonysantoni
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds