RF Radio controller and SDC2150 and MDC2250

8 years 2 months ago #29527243 by marcusbarnet
I have different SDC2150 and two MDC2250 and I\'d like to know how to connect my Futaba R2008SB ( www.futaba-rc.com/systems/futk8100-8j/index.html ) to each of them.
It uses 8 channels and I need to use at least 6 of them to control my DC motors.

Can you help me to understand how to connect and configure my futaba receiver to your motor controller, please?

I tried to read the datasheet and the manual related to SDC2150 and MDC2250 but i didn\'t understand how to use the futaba outputs.

Tipically, i directly connect the servos to the futaba outputs, but now I need to use the roboteq controllers and I do not know where to connect the wires.

Thanks a lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago #29527247 by roboteq
The cables that came with your controllers should plug into your receiver, like any standard RC servo.

By default, the controller will make the motors move if RC pulses are detected on this cable and if you do not have the PC utility running.

If you do have the PC utility running, click on the Mute button on the Run tab. This will suspend commands from being sent to the controller via RS232 or USB. Then the controller will switch to RC pulse mode.

8 years 2 months ago #29527255 by marcusbarnet
Thank you for your reply.

I connected the signal cable to RC1 pulse on SDC2150 pin4 and then I opened the Roborun utility and I calibrated the pulse on RC1 by defining the minimum, the medium and the maximum value; then, I changed the command priority by specifiying RC pulse as first input command.
I closed Roborun utility and I tried to move the stick on my radio controller but nothing happen.

What I have to do in order to use my RC controller?

Can you help me, please?

8 years 2 months ago #29527257 by roboteq
The problem may be that you also need to provide a RC signal to the second channel. The controller is dual channel, so it needs both signals to become active.

The simplest, to be sure, is to reset the factory default. Write down the min max and center for the calibrated input because you will need to re-enter them.

Then, after you verified that the pulses are present in Roborun, click on the \"Mute\" checkbox. This will stop the PC from sending commands to the controller, and the controller will switch to RC mode.

8 years 2 months ago #29527259 by marcusbarnet
Thank you a lot for your support.

As you said, the controller needs at least two RC pulses to work: now, everyting works ok.

I\'d like to ask you one more question: it is possible to use a RC pulse to command both motors changing their directions?

I try to explain it better: I\'d like to use the first RC pulse to let my rover move forward and backward (my rover use one motor per side); then, I\'d like to use the second RC pulse to let my rover go on the left and on the right but in order to accomplish this, one motor has to change its direction to let robot rotate on itself.

Is it possible to let one motor change its rotate direction when it receive a particular RC pulse?

8 years 2 months ago #29527261 by roboteq
In regular mixed mode, one joystick can only be used for forward/reverst, and the other for left/right turning.

If you want to do something different, you can by using the microbasic scripting language.

8 years 1 month ago #29527305 by marcusbarnet
I\'m using MDC2250 to control my motors with RC pulses and, as you said, I can\'t control two motors with the same joystick on my radiocontroller.

I tried to see the microbasic script, but I didn\'t understand it very well.
Is it possible to see a sample script which is able to control two motors with the same pulse, please?
Then, I can study it and modify it to fit my needs.

8 years 1 month ago #29527307 by roboteq
You need to configure the controller in mixed mode.

This way one joystick will be used for throttle, the other for steering.

The left and right motor will move together in order to create the forward/reverse and turn motion.

8 years 1 month ago #29527309 by marcusbarnet
Thanks a lot! This solved my problem!

8 years 1 month ago #29527321 by marcusbarnet
Unfortunately, it doesn\'t properly work for the turning motion.

I configured the controller to work in mixed mode, then I selected mode 1 and I updated the controller configuration: the rover can go forward and backward but if I move the stick to send the turning input, the rover try to turn on the left or on the right just for one second and then it stops.

So, with this setting, the rover can\'t turn on the left and on the right and, in particular, it can\'t rotate on itself.

Is this a normal behavior for mixed mode?

What I need is to have a wheel to go forward and the other wheel on the other side to go backward and viceversa to let my rover rotate on itself or to simple change its direction.

At the moment, in mixed mode, it only tries to turn on the left or on the right but then it suddenly stops.

What can I do to solve the problem?
I\'m using MDC2250 and I also tried to set mode 2 for mixed mode without solving the problem.

Moderators: tonysantoni
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds