Swap Windings (SWD) - what does it do + lacking documentation

2 months 1 week ago #29534993 by DanRR
I noticed that when I do Automatic Sensor Setup in sinusoidal mode, it will (sometimes?) set Swap Windings to "Swap" (SWD=1).
This is odd for two reasons
First, I am not using encoders, so setting 1 (“Swap”) should do nothing.* If Hall sensors are being used as the internal sensors, and the routine discovers that the motor and hall sensors change in opposite directions, I would expect it to change SWD to 3 (“Swap Hall Only”) or 4 ("Swap Hall+Encoder"). Why is the setup routine setting it to 1, which seems to affect only encoders, when no encoders are involved?

Second, I see no apparent effect for changing SWD at all. The motors seem to work just as well with SWD set to any value [0,1,2,3] and there is no change in the directionality of motor, the Internal Sensor Angle (SNA), Rotor Angle (ANG), Hall Count (CB) or Internal Sensor Speed (BS.) I would expect that “Swap Windings” virtually swaps two motor outputs to make the motor rotate in the opposite direction, but this seems to not be the case. What does actually SWD do, and why would it need to be changed? Is it only applicable to closed-loop control modes?

*The Table on Page 342 of the Roboteq Controller User Manual V2.0 for SWD could be more clear. The Meaning in the second column for SWD=2 should be “Encoder only Swapped”, not just “swapped” which is ambiguous what is being swapped. The logic in the description should also be updated, because “none”, else “Swapped” seems to pertain only to encoders and disregards the use of Hall sensors. Also, “clockwise” and “counterclockwise” are ambiguous directions. It should be relative to the motor commanded positive direction.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago #29535007 by george_f
Hello Dan it should not get as a result by the end of Motor/Sensor setup SWD=1 or 2 or 3or 4. You should just get HSAT results only. What i assume that is happening in your case because i test it my self is that you have set the Sinusoidal Angle Sensor to Hall+ Encoder and not only Hall.
So for your second question it is normal that you do noit get any difference when you change the SWD because it is only applicable to Encoder sensors.
SWD is refering to sensor polarity to match the stator winding connection. In case we use encoder, wrong set up of SWD will have as result to not spin the motor.
More details that can help you, you can find on page 114 of Roboteq Users Manual.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago #29535014 by DanRR

george_f wrote: Hello Dan it should not get as a result by the end of Motor/Sensor setup SWD=1 or 2 or 3or 4. You should just get HSAT results only.

According to page 114 of the User manual, Automatic Sensor Setup "performs the following: a. Find the sensor polarity with respect to stator winding connection and set the SWD Swap Windings configuration parameter." So it does change SWD according to something.

george_f wrote: What i assume that is happening in your case because i test it my self is that you have set the Sinusoidal Angle Sensor to Hall+ Encoder and not only Hall.

I explicitly tried setup with the sinusoidal angle sensor set to "Hall" and to "Hall+Encoder". SWD is changed either way.

george_f wrote: So for your second question it is normal that you do noit get any difference when you change the SWD because it is only applicable to Encoder sensors.
SWD is refering to sensor polarity to match the stator winding connection. In case we use encoder, wrong set up of SWD will have as result to not spin the motor.
More details that can help you, you can find on page 114 of Roboteq Users Manual.

According to page 342 of the User manual, setting Bit1 of SWD will swap the Hall, so it is applicable to Hall sensors as well as encoders, but I don't see any effects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago #29535020 by george_f
DanRR, it is applicable when you are using Hall+Encoder. not in Hall only.
If you are getting after the Motor/Sensor setup SWD= ? with all the other values it means that you are not in Hall only Sinusoidal Angle Sensor.
If you use Hall+Encoder and you change the SWD fot Hall you will see difference, but not in Hall only as Sinusoidal Angle Sensor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: tonysantoni
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds