LDC1450 Encoder not being parsed

7 years 6 months ago #29527850 by JR
Hello,

I am trying to read information from the my encoder. +5, Gnd, EncA, and EncB are all connected according to the datasheet (and errata) and DIn1 and DIn2 both flash when I spin the motor by hand. I have the encoder set up as feedback, with analog and pulse inputs disabled. However, Counter, Speed RPM, and Feedback all display no changes when the motor is spinning.

I found this old post detailing a similar issue, and downloaded the most recent firmware for my motor controller here , but the problem persists. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 6 months ago #29527852 by Griffin Baker
Replied by Griffin Baker on topic Re:LDC1450 Encoder not being parsed
In open loop with the encoder setup for feedback, in the run tab, you should be able to see the numbers move. If this doesn\'t happen, there maybe an issue with your settings, or wiring.

Not that I expect your wiring to be wrong, it\'s always helpful to eliminate all possibilities.

Which pins are wired to what (i.e pin 14 goes to +5V).

7 years 6 months ago #29527853 by JR
Sure; thanks for the reply.

Encoder +5 goes to pin 14, ground goes to pin 5, EncA goes to pin 4, and EncB goes to pin 8. When it initially wouldn\'t work, I tested the set up by checking the voltage on the power pin, and also scoping pins 4 and 8. I saw the expected square wave as I turned the encoder, and as I said above, DIn1 and DIn2 flash on the UI as everything turns. Those pins also match what software expects when I hit \"View Pinout...,\" so I assume hardware is fine

Attaching a screenshot of some of my settings. These are saved to and then loaded from the controller each time I try something else.

7 years 6 months ago #29527854 by JR
Now with smaller image.
Attachments:

7 years 6 months ago #29527855 by Griffin Baker
If you go to motor output, is the operation mode set to open loop?

7 years 6 months ago #29527856 by JR
Yes.

7 years 6 months ago #29527857 by Griffin Baker
I figured it out. I checked on ours and I was getting the same thing. Use pins 10 and 15. This should fix it. I\'ll have the errata fixed.

7 years 6 months ago #29527858 by JR
Yup, that works. Thanks for figuring it out.

Moderators: tonysantoni
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds