Menu

Topic-icon HDC2450 with RCB503 - a strange thing happened yesterday

More
2 years 6 months ago #29533139 by LROBBINS
Yesterday I was working on a script and configuration profile for an acquaintance in the U.S. and was totally flummoxed by something that turned out to be a stupid mistake in one configuration parameter. However, a few hours before the obvious dawned on me (and it really was something so obvious that I just didn't see it; an analog deadband at 5% when it should have been 0), something very worrisome happened.

Wondering whether firmware V 1.8 might have a problem, I started to download earlier versions. Installing 1.7 via COM went OK, but the problem persisted (no surprise in the end because it had nothing at all to do with anything but my own blindness). 1.6 was the same, but when I tried to install 1.5 the COM install utility couldn't see the controller. Exited the firmware installer and returned to Roborun, and it too couldn't see the controller. Moreover, the power LED was lit, the status LED was only dimly and steadily lit and the communications LED stayed dark. None of the usual things one might do in the case of a PC glitch did anything.

I replaced the RCB503 with the older RCB500 and all was back to normal.

I do not understand how installing firmware could have done this, but the freshly-minted RCB503 seems to have been wiped. Anyone know if there's some way to bring it back to life?

Ciao,
Lenny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #29533140 by blake
Hi Lenny

The v1.5 firmware would not be compatible with the RCB503 as that firmware predates the hardware. As I'm sure you know the RCB503 uses a newer/more powerful MCU. The v1.5 firmware was compatible only with the older MCU.

Anyway, you may be able to recover the controller by manually re-flashing a new firmware via serial. Please follow the instructions in this FAQ article , note that it will require an RS232 connection between your controller and the computer, it cannot be done via USB.

More
2 years 6 months ago #29533141 by LROBBINS
Great. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Given that my system is all raw CAN, I never use USB; I use an RS232 adapter + isolater.

More
2 years 6 months ago #29533143 by LROBBINS
No luck. Result was:

Any way around this? Does STM have a loader that doesn't require a "Device starting string"?
Attachments:

More
2 years 6 months ago #29533145 by blake
Lenny,

When you get to this step "Device is Restarted" you will need to manually power off the controller then back on again. Normally this is done automatically but since firmware is incorrect it is likely not happening. Simply switch off the power supply for 1 second then back on again

More
2 years 6 months ago #29533146 by LROBBINS
It did that multiple times, but perhaps not at the right moment. I'll try again tomorrow.

More
2 years 6 months ago #29533147 by LROBBINS
Still no joy. I've tried powering down and back up at the beginning, middle and end of the restart attempt, but the message is always the same "Device starting string not detected". Although control power is via a SPDT relay, so it is grounded when off and should be truly off, just to be sure that no power can leak through via the pre-charge resistor I also disconnected the Battery+ wires. Finally, I brought up my shop Win7 machine with Roborun 1.8, but got the same non-result.

I there any way to use the STM COM flasher? Or do it via SPI (though I'd probably have to buy another ISP for this - the only ones I have are AVR)?

More
2 years 5 months ago #29533148 by blake
If you have the STM com flasher you can recover the board I will email you

More
2 years 5 months ago #29533149 by LROBBINS
Thanks Blake. I've replied to your e-mail via e-mail as well.

More
2 years 4 months ago #29533239 by ed
Xdc 2460,ran great via RC,hooked up laptop USB,now status power led dim,no comm led ,dosnt work with RC anymore.didnt seem to connect with laptop either.lots of experience with vantec controllers,new to roboteq,not very good with computers in general.anyone willing to help with me troubleshooting problem,then getting on board with the most basic laptop stuff?only want to monitor current, voltage,throttle settings,etc,thanks,ed

Moderators: tonysantoni
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds
Go to top